Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How I hate Nokia!

I got this AT&T Nokia dumb phone - a 6350, not a smart phone because I don't want to pay the data rates each month since I work at home and simply don't need to check email or go online from my phone enough to justify the extra cost.

So I got this because I need only to synch with my Outlook Calendar and Contacts.

Aside from having the worst user interface on Earth -- something like 14 steps to mail a photo from the phone to an email address -one by one, of course -- the synch software frmo Nokia is the worst. The worst.

It worked - for a while. Then it would sometimes not synch completely, especially the Calendar. It would say there is not enough memory on the phone. Believe me when I say this is untrue; no point in belaboring it, but it is simply not true. I've done everything there is to do to make it work right. So sometimes it works - then goes for months not synching the calendar.

They released a completely new synch suite called Nokia Ovi Suite (the previous version is Nokia PC Suite). The new software did not work either - except, unlike its predecessor, it simply ever worked right, ever.

Tech support at Nokia is, like its UI, the worst on earth. The problem I am having, it turns out, is a problem *everyone* is having. And has been having for several years. No one has ever received a single bit of feedback or support from Nokia for this problem. None. For two years. Ever. Still.

I have come to hate Nokia with the passion usually reserved for Microsoft -- or for the lying, cheating bastards at Buffalo. I look forward with glee to its final destruction at the hands of its equal in badness, Microsoft. I will dance on its grave.

Now all I have to do is trudge down to the AT&T store to find another cheap simple phone that's not a Nokia but that might - might - actually synch with Outlook's Calendar and Contacts.

I am doomed, aren't I?

(No urgings to try another carrier; this isn't a carrier problem, and I am apparently unique in not having had problems with AT&T over the years - tho of course I have not often had smart phones to test the limits of their system. One hateful enemy at a time, please.)

I will not waste my time trying to find reviews of cheap phones; cell-phone reviews are as close to useless as it is possible to get, in my experience.

Sorry; just venting....

mac

No comments: